Trailer Talk - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Captain America is my second favorite comic book character (behind only Daredevil), so my excitement for a Cap sequel really shouldn't surprise anyone.  Especially not after how much I loved 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger.  I couldn't have known that it would come to fruition so soon, but I've been hoping for this story line to make it to the big screen since before The First Avenger even finished.  Those familiar with the comic books can probably pick out the scene I'm speaking of, but for those that aren't, I won't spoil anything by getting too specific.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is inspired by one of my all-time favorite story arcs: The Winter Soldier written by Ed Brubaker.  I have no doubt that this film will differ a bit from the source material so that Marvel can fit it into their current cinematic universe continuity, but the fact that they are adapting such a great story is a good sign.  The Winter Soldier tells a very personal and emotional story for Steve Rogers and also allows Marvel the opportunity to introduce at least four new characters from the comics into their films (Winter Soldier, Falcon, Agent 13, Crossbones).

I've seen two different trailers for The Winter Soldier so far.  The first of which was released about three weeks ago while I was still on my honeymoon (it is also the first one embedded below).  The second I saw this afternoon when I saw Thor: The Dark World in 3D (which, for the most part, is the second trailer embedded below).  I couldn't find the full five minute extended trailer online, but it began with the full elevator sequence that was cropped in the first trailer.  That in itself was pretty sweet, but the coolest part of the second trailer is the differing close up shot of Winter Soldier at the very end.  The extended trailer was maybe the coolest I've seen in quite some time.  I wish I could share it, but apparently the studio has asked that it be taken offline.

The opening lines of the first official trailer show us just how perfect Chris Evans is in the role of Steve Rogers.  We also get glimpses of Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury, and Marvel newcomers Anthony Mackie (Falcon), and Robert Redford (Alexander Pierce, a character that does not appear in the comics but looks to sort of fill the role of the original Marvel comics Nick Fury - Jackson's Fury is based on Marvel's Ultimate Universe version of the character).  In the second trailer we get a glimpse of Emily VanCamp as Agent 13.

Marvel hasn't missed with one of their films yet, and while I've had some small issues with certain aspects here and there, I've really enjoyed them all.  Outside of Daredevil, Captain America means the most to me as a character.  I absolutely loved The First Avenger and I really, really hope that The Winter Soldier lives up to the potential the trailer shows and to the scrutiny that I will no doubt put it through since it is drawing inspiration from one of the most well respected and revered runs in Cap history.  The only thing that disappointed me about either of these trailers was the release date at the end: 4/4/14.  As you can see from the movie poster above, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was originally scheduled for a March 2014 release.  Now we'll have to wait a whole extra month, which is brutal because after seeing the extended trailer this afternoon, I'm not sure that I could be more excited!

Official First Trailer:


Trailer that ran before Thor: The Dark World 3D minus the full elevator sequence (low quality):










*****SPOILERS*****

What's this?  A spoiler section for a Trailer Talk post?  I know, I know, it's probably a bit much, but there are a couple of things that I had to get out that I wasn't sure belonged up top.

- First and foremost, for anyone interested in reading the story arc that inspired the characters included in this film,  it appeared in Captain America (2005) #8-9, 11-14 (#10 was a House of M tie-in that departed from the ongoing story).  It isn't absolutely necessary, but I would highly recommend reading the arc before it as well (Out of Time, the beginning of Brubaker's run).  You can pick up one trade paperback including both story arcs here.

- I love the inclusion of Steve's Super Soldier uniform from the comics.  It is a more modern look that probably fits the feel of the Marvel Cinematic Universe a bit better than his classic stars and stripes look (which I felt they pulled off quite well in The First Avenger).

- In the first trailer, Frank Grillo (credited on imdb.com as being Brock Rumlow/Crossbones) appears to be one of Cap's men, but in the extended elevator sequence (sorry, not shown) he's clearly more what avid comic readers would expect him to be.  It'll be very interesting to see how his character plays out in the film.

- The Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) looks every bit as bad-ass as he does in the comics.  I also love that he's used minimally in the trailers.

- I wondered how they'd pull off Falcon's look in the film.  It turns out they handled it similarly to Hawkeye's cinematic redesign. From this limited look, I think it works well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Iron Man 3

Collected Comic Review - Green Arrow by Mike Grell

Review - Mama